Summertime is coming at us like a freight train. School will be out soon! Your mind is on one thing and one thing only: What to do with the kids! It’s the same dilemma every year. You have your outdoor games, and indoor projects for rainy days, but the kids will only get excited over so many construction paper and macaroni art projects.
You need to tackle this before the kids tackle you! Here are a few tips and life-saving ideas that will keep the kids busy and keep you sane!
- 1. Build a lemonade stand. The kids will make a little money, have fun and learn all at the same time. Check your city ordinances beforehand. Some cities require a permit.
- 2. All kids love to play in the rain! Have some rain coats and goloshes on standby and let them get out there and get wet!
- 3. Start a photo journal. After various Summer activities, add them to it. It’s fun to do together, and wonderful to look back on when it’s cold.
- 4. Take a walk and pick things up along the way. When you get home, make an art collage of the things you found.
- 5. Have a water balloon fight. How much fun is that?!
- 6. Older kids could interview an older relative and ask what life was like when they were young. They can add this info to your family photo journal.
- 7. Make a sidewalk chalk mural. Get everyone involved, including parents.
- 8. Pretend to be pirates for the day. Have a treasure hunt, eat seafood and talk in pirate voices all day.
- 9. Decorate bikes and have a Fourth of July parade in your own back yard. Best of all, it doesn’t even have to be July 4th!
There are tons of fun things to do locally over Summer break. Be sure to keep sunscreen, bug repellant and a cooler full of cold drinks and snacks on hand! It doesn’t take much to plan a fun-filled day and create adventures that are simple, enjoyable, and most important, memorable!